Thursday, July 31, 2008

Interns


My internship ended yesterday. In all, I'm very grateful for the experience. The exposure to real life corporate practice was insightful as it's just so different from everything that I learnt in law school. I also met some very fabulous people. :) my mentor and kw were extremely warm and patient with me. they took valuable time out from their hectic schedules just to talk to me every day- abt practice, the nature of the work, school and other light-hearted things like football and movies (when they took me out for lunch). it's really nice to know that lawyers are normal people afterall, despite looking so serious and stressed most of the time. then there was the secretary sitting next to me who became my friend. initially, like the rest, all she said was "hi" on my 1st day and then it was silence after that. the ice broke when i offered her cut fruits every morning. hahaha.. she told me she had some gastric prob and then from there, the conversation branched out into multi-faceted topics over the days, ranging from the anwar scandal, good dinner places, wakeboarding, life in a law firm, her near-death encounter with the 2006 tsunami etc. when she was on MC due to a leg problem on tuesday, i was really lonely. the next day, it was the end of my internship and i came back from lunch to see a packet of dried cranberries with a note on it on my workstation. i was so touched at her small gesture of kindness. it meant alot to me, because she remembered that it was my last day and got me something despite her walking difficulties and nausea. i asked her whether she got me the cranberries because she saw me eating fruits every morning and she said yes, she wanted to get cake initially but didn't know whether i'd like it cos she nv saw me eating cake in the office. hahaha.. i really liked the NUS interns too. there were only 3 of us at the new office, which i liked very much over the main one.

anyway, i'm thankful for the experience and for the people i met. i'm even more undecided abt corporate work now cos the hours are insane and they don't get better, but i have a few more years to make a decision. can u guys imagine me as a barrister, fighting in court???? wahahah...

another thing tt i gained through my internship was the stark realisation of the bounds that i've made in my confidence and perspective. and i credit the overseas experience for it. :) thanks esp. to cheh and mark for encouraging me to take that first leap of faith into a whole new world. and to my parents for supporting me. and of course, to God, provider of all things good. i think i've finally broken out of the herd mentality so firmly entrenched in the entire system and culture here. :) ask me personally if u wanna hear more!


at the cusp of adulthood and working life.



fellow interns who showed me around NUS law school. we were there because i had to borrow a book for a partner haha.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey!!

I really like your reflection on your internship. It seems like you really learned a lot about the industry and yourself.

I recently started a website called InternshipRatings.com. It is a resource for students to rate, research, and compare internships in various industries across the United States. I had the idea after my really good internship. I think it is important for other students to know what it is like to intern at companies from the intern perspective.

When you get a chance, I really encourage you to rate your internship. Your rating can even me anonymous!

Good luck with your career,
Lauren